Aug 03 2009

Tattooed Professionals and Discrimination

Category: Exploiting the IdiocracyAlice @ 10:55 am

docThere is a very interesting thread going on over at the News Star forum entitiled The Dangerous Art of the Tattoo.  I thought I would take a moment today to share some of the more “enlightened” posts from the thread and let you guys respond.

I would not hire a young man or woman whose body looked like a road-map! If they don`t respect the body the lord blessed them with, I have no use for them! – rickpaul

And then there’s this:

Life ain’t fair! Thats just the way it is. When I interview employees, experience, education, qualifications are a starting place. Attitude and being able to work with others, communication and the ability to understand what their role in my organization count equally. I see visible tatoos, probably not going to hire them, same thing for excessive piercings. Just shows me this individual has trouble with authority and is most likely somewhat rebellious. There are other places where this might be acceptable or they can start their own business. – imagine13

And this one…

I would not want the illustrated man/woman setting in front of a customer trying to make a sale for me!

Tats, the ones that are visible, send messages to those that hire. You may have a PHD, but if you are covered in tats that show outside your clothing, you don’t work in for me or 99% of the mainline businesses in the world.

If all a woman wants to be in her life is a burger flipper, bar tender, or other minimum wage earner, then by all means, tat away! But if you want your daughters, girlfriends etc. to make the best life for themselves and their families, they should set an example. – Ellalab

That last one is particularly offensive to me. The idea that a tattooed woman can only be a minimum wage earner is just absurd!  Are you a tattooed professional?  Do you have trouble getting a job because of visible tattoos?  I would love to hear some sounding off here.   Ellalab is way off the mark in stating that 99% of mainline business do not hire people with visible tattoos.

What’s your opinion.  Is this discrimination or just good business sense?

Personally, I think these people are narrow-minded idiots.  I would much rather have a creative, talented and intelligent tattooed person work for me than someone less qualified who had no visible body art.

Feel free to leave your profession and number of tats in the comments area.

By the way, The photo above is of Dr. Dave, a medical doctor with private general medicine practice in New York City. Many of Dr. Dave’s tattoos have a medical theme. A caduceus, the symbol of medicine, sits on his right arm – although a woman replaces the traditional staff. The letters “MD” are tattoed on his back, while a skull with a red medical cross (the symbol of Dr. Dave’s motorcycle club of health professionals) decorates his left shoulder.

This doctor does have full sleeves.

Don’t forget to leave a comment with your opinion and just for giggles check out the post below about women and sex…the comments are hysterical.

Kisses!

Share Button

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Tattooed Professionals and Discrimination”

1. Jill says:

the narrow-mindedness of the general population in the greater Monroe area is precisely why I moved away 20 years ago. I’m disappointed to read the comments made, but can’t say I’m surprised.

2. Lsa says:

I have multiple tattoos and did used to have several piercings as well. The tattoos on my arms and back are visible depending on what I wear. I don’t hide them, and I work in a conservative corporate finance environment.

As far as flipping burgers or being a minimum-wage earner because of my tattoos? Well, I have no college education and am currently a lowly administrative assistant working in downtown Chicago. A lowly administrative assistant making $56,000 a year, that is. I make more than most entry-level attorneys, so yeah, I’m laughing my way to the bank!

With my tattoos.

3. Jenna says:

I’m amazed that there are still people that think that a tattoo somehow lowers your intelligence, or will prevent you from having a high paying job. I have several tattoos, ones that can be hidden and ones that can’t. They certainly didn’t stop me from becoming from becoming a museum curator! And my husband’s tattoos haven’t stopped him from becoming CFO for an international company!

4. Megan says:

I’m a pierced professional – only ears, but I have 6 piercings in each ear, 3 lobe and 3 cartilage – but it’s never caused me problems. Students tell me it makes me more approachable because I seem more like a human being and less “scary.”

5. Mark says:

While I don’t have any tattoos myself, I will have some one day. As badly as I want full sleeves I won’t do it because I know that it will instantly disqualify me for certain things. I am not saying its right or wrong, its just a fact.

The thing about the motorcycle industry is that nobody really cares about it until you get to the corporate level… and even then I know a guy who has a highly paid position at BMW Motorrad who has full sleeves.

6. Anissa says:

Great post. I have 4 tattoos and am in the medical field. Two of my tattoos are visible but no one would ever know. Why? because i have tattooed makeup done by an ARTIST. One of my tattoos is a butterfly which in my opinion is art.

My other (and 1st) tattoo is something very significant to me. I went thru a lot growing up and it serves as a reminder … that i can over come anything. I am strong it reminds me of my past everyday. It is not visible under scrubs but in tank or other it is. I love my tats and don’t regret them! Most of them are art and express who the individual is.

A very old saying comes to mind “You can’t judge a book by its cover”. A lot of people need to remember this!

7. Sneker "Aaron Lenard" One says:

I own an operate Lucky13 Tattoo Studio & Art Gallery. I was very offended by the ignorance I heard in this fourm about visible tattoos. I nearly have a body suit including my hands, whole neck, fingers. etc…and I make more money than most people you know. We have finally come to a time where tattoos are seen more as an artwork other than a sign of a criminal. Besides if you wear one of my sleeves your obviously doing quite well. Being my rates are $100 an hour. with a sleeve some times taking up to 30 hours or more. All I have to say is wake up people.

8. S.A. says:

I was a store manager for Cingular for 6 years, I wore my short sleeved shirts proudly displaying my ink. Now I am a property manager and for the most part only the elderly seem to have any issue with my tats. Luckily I am self employed and can tell people who have opinions of my business sense based upon my tattoos that I really don’t need their judgmental attitude, or their property to manage if they feel that I can’t be trusted because I have a picture on my arm!

9. admin says:

Thanks for the comment! As a self-employed person, I feel the same way. If you don’t want to work with me based on my skin, you lose out.

10. James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil says:

I have never seen a tat that didn’t look like a muddy mess after a year or two. IN my opinion, people who get tattoos are either young people that will do anything, no matter how stupid, as lon g as it’s “fashionable” or total morons that know no other way to express themselves.

People, you will acquire enough bodily mutilations naturally without having to pay someone to do it for you.

No I would never hire anyone with a visible tattoo. Not even as a minimum-wage flunky. Mostly it is a symbol of the rebellious youth never gone away or the totally irresponsible moron that couldn’t be trusted not to show up drunk, stoned, or just not in the mood to work because “it restricts my freedom”. Tat away but be prepared to pay for it all your life.

11. admin says:

Wow, James – careful with that closed mind of yours…

12. Guy says:

Having tattoos doesn’t make you dumb or a criminal but it does scare customers away. This is a capitalist country and if you want to make money then you have to do what the customer wants. If you want to have a normal professional job then you need to look like a normal professional person. You guys just need to suck it and realize that your “cool” tattoos come at a high price.

13. admin says:

Obviously, Guy, you didn’t read the comments posted here. Our “coolness” does not have to come at a high prices. We all have well paying jobs. Your way of thinking is about to become extinct. Besides, where exactly is the definition of “normal professional person”? I would think that being professional is defined by one’s actions.

14. Guy says:

I agree with everything you guys are saying but it will be a long time before the baby boomers die off and our generation accepts tattoos as a normal thing. Until then you guys need accept the consequences of your actions.

15. bLAIR says:

WELL AFTER READING THIS I HAD TO POST A COMMMENT…I MYSELF HAVE 10 TATTOO’S BUT ONLY 3 SHOW BUT I DO HAVE QUITE A FEW PIERCINGS ONE BEING MY STERNUM…I WORK IN CHILD CARE AND I CATCH HELL FROM BOUT %75 OF MY PARENTS THEN I HAVE THE OTHER %25 WHO JUST THINK MY TATS AND DEF PIERCINGS ARE THE SHIT…PEOPLE HERE IN TEH SOUTH ARE VERY CLOSE MINDED…AS I HAVE TOLD COUNTLESS PARENTS….AS LONG AS IM DOING MY JOB AND DOING IT WELL THEN YOU JUST NEEDA KEEP ON PAYING ME AND JUST GO TO WORK W YOUR CLOSZE MINDED SELF….I VIEW MY BODY AS AN EMPTY CANVAS THAT NEEDS TO BE DECORATED….IM NOT A CRIMINAL OR A HOODLUM OR A DRUG ADDICTED WHORE….IM A HARD WORKING SINGLE MOTHER ENROLLED IN SCHOOL W A DAMN GIID HEAD ON MY SHOULDER….SO ALL THE CLOSE MINDED DOUCHE BAGS CAN KISS MY ASS (TO BE MORE SPECIFIC KISS THE ASS CHEECK W THE TATTOO ON IT)

16. JJ says:

I don’t know how most employers view tats, but based on my personal experience, people with a lot of tacky tattoos generally do follow the rebellious/irresponsible stereotype.

I’m not saying they’re bad in and of themselves, but a lot of people DID get them get to show off to friends, when they got drunk, to rebel, etc. Being expensive doesn’t mean anything, either. I’ve known guys in debt up to their eyeballs and living off the government who somehow still had enough money to cover themselves in more tacky skulls and barbwire designs.

You may have some awesome, creative artwork on your body and a great paying job with respect to boot, but that doesn’t mean the average person with tattoos is as lucky, smart, or responsible as you. So until those idiots who get tacky tats for stupid reasons stop proliferating the common stereotype, most (or a lot) of people will still be prejudiced against everyone who has tats.

And no, I’m not an old prude or a babyboomer, just someone who knows a lot of idiots who give tattooing a bad reputation…

17. Joselyn Medler says:

I understand that but where does it take us?

I’m not paranoid, they really are after me. :)

18. Bridget Rice says:

I currently have 19 tattoos. One is on the right side of my neck, and the other visible ones are on my left wrist and both forearms. I have an BS and cannot get a job as a switchboard operator. I can’t even get a job at Taco Bell. I always seem to impress enough at first interviews; I speak well, I research the company, etc. I ALWAYS get a second interview. That’s when I show a tattoo or two (no point in wasting my time). I never get called back.